Monte Carlo SS
Updated December 15th, 2002
My steering wheel is loose. What can I do?
- There are a few write-ups on how to repair this:
My Speedometer chatters and squeeks. What can I do?
I get water on my passenger side floor mats. Where is it coming from?
- Leak in winshield seal or A/C heater box, T-Top or door weather strip seal
- More detail to be provided soon.
How do you remove the shifter handle to take the console plate off?
- There is a staple type fastner on the front of the shifter. Remove it
with a flat blade screw driver. The shifter handle should be able to be
rocked off after that.
My Oil gauge is not reading correctly. (Minimum scale, Maximum scale, Erratically)
- Crazy oil pressure readings can be caused by a number of reasons:
- Intermittent connect at the oil pressure sender above the oil
filter. A short to ground will cause a zero pressure reading,
an open connection will cause a full scale pressure reading.
- Bad Oil Pressure Sender above the oil filter. (usually fails
in the full scale oil pressure indication)
- Intermittent connection behind the oil pressure gauge.
- If you are getting wildly fluxuating reading from maximum to
minimum, the wire going to the oil pressure sendor is probably
shorting to ground intermittently. This can happen if it melts
to the exhaust manifold. Check the wiring.
My dash lights are dim. Can I make it brighter?
- There is an extensive write-up here on MonteCarloSS.com that outlines
with pictures the steps you can take to dramatically improve your dash /
gauge lighting. Go to: Dash Light Write-up
My headliner is droopy. What can I do?
- Answer to be provided soon.
My console lid is broken. What can I do?
- Join the club. Send your dues to MonteCarloSS.com. :)
- Seriously, this is a very common complaint amoung SS owners. The
Lid is still available from GM, although the price is relatively
high (around $70) and it comes in black only (you paint to match
- The chances of finding a used replacement with much useable life
is remote. If it hasn't broken yet.. it will soon, unless from a
low mileage donor.
- E-Bay is a good source for these parts. You can get them cheaper
than GM price. The aftermarket trim suppliers (Original Parts
Group, The Paddock Inc, etc) also sell reproduction console lids
that are cheaper than GM. They all require that you paint to match
your interior however (remember to use vinyl paint).
My gear selection pointer in the dash cluster is stuck to the far left (Park). How do I fix it?
- The part the usually breaks is a loop on the florecent orange pointer that is used to attach
the gear shift string. Repair is easy.
- Remove the black gauge cluster trim piece (7 phillips screws, 3 on top, 4 on bottom).
- Remove two 7mm hex head screws that hold in the pointer assembly below the speedometer.
- Partially remove the pointer assembly from under the speedometer. Pay attention to the routing
of the string on the right side.
- You will see a spring that attaches to the left side of the assembly, then to the moveable
florecent orange pointer. You should be able to see the broken loop on the right side of
the florecent orange moveable pointer.
- The easy fix is to loop the gear shift string around the right side of the spring on the pointer.
You can do this easily by first removing the spring on the left side, allowing the pointer and
spring to be manipulated easily. Once you have the gear shift string around the right side of the
spring on the pointer, you can reattach the left side of the spring to the assembly. Again, make
sure the routing of the gear shift string through the right side of the assembly is correct.
- Reassemble in reverse order and you're done. 10 minute job!
Where can I get replacement red striping for my black interior pieces?
- 3M carries an automotive trim tape that matches pretty well. You can find it
- Their part number is 70176. The color is "Tomato Red" and the width is 1/16".
- You may be able to find this trim tape at your local auto parts store.
Where can I get replacement black door strap covers?
- Here's an image of the door strap covers we're talking about:
Door Strap Cover
- You can find these at your local auto parts store that carries the HELP!
line of products. The part number is
77217. You may have to have them
special order it if they don't carry the full HELP! line. They're only a
couple of bucks each.
- GM still has these available. More expensive than the HELP! line.
- You can also find them on EBay. Just don't bid too much on them!
How to I get my bucket seat backs to be more vertical?
- We've created a write-up on how to adjust the bucket seat backs.
©Copyright 1999-2002, MonteCarloSS.com, All Rights Reserved